After my exploration of the Merced countryside the previous night, I had arrived at the motel running on fumes! I spotted a gas station sign across the busy 4 lane road from the motel so I asked at the desk while checking out if there was one on the same side. Well, says he, is there a problem with the one next door? Seems from where I'd looked I was unable to see any part of it so I thankfully just turned from the motel driveway to the next one.
For those who haven't travelled in the States recently, there is a challenge if using a credit card for gas. Many of the self-serve pumps where you have to prepay, you cannot do that as you don't have a zip code. In this case, you have limited choices. You can charge a specified amount to your card or should you wish to fill the tank you can estimate the amount and the change will be made after you've filled it. The option that is least acceptable is leaving your card with the clerk while you fill the tank or put your amount of choice in the tank. I've also not found any place able to accept a debit card that isn't a Visa or Mastercard. I haven't tried an ATM yet so will try that tomorrow.
I continued on Hwy 99 until I reached Hwy 58 just before Bakersfield and started my trek across the desert. This took me past Edwards Airforce Base as well as the huge airplane wrecking yard.....even from a distance, this is a stunning sight! I had seen photos of it and tv shots but neither prepared me for the quantity of planes nor the sheer size of them. All this and my first sight of a desert as well. There is something totally AWEsome about a large desert area, similar to the effect a large ocean area evokes....emphasizes the insignificance of a human being. I found myself trying to imagine crossing that vast area a couple of centuries ago whether on foot or horse or mule or even burro....the mind boggles at the thought. I immediately take another sip of water, almost as reassurance that I was fine (grin). Eventually, I reached Barstow where I got gas and hit the washroom before starting across another section of desert on my way to Indio to visit Rolande. This was along 247 the Yucca route that allowed me to see the huge windmill farms with literally hundreds of windmills all turning like mad in the stiff winds that were buffeting my car(grin). Then onto Hwy 82 to I-10 into a full scale traffic jam before reaching Indio. Eventually I reached the hotel I planned to stay in only to have the last available room I was checking into be rented instead by the other desk clerk to someone on the phone!! Meanwhile, more people were arriving looking for rooms and the clerk was referring them to another hotel. Outside parked next to me, were 2 women who were phoning around looking for a room. Turned out that the hotel that the clerk was sending people to was already full! Fortunately, I had reclining seats in the car plus a blowup bed and sleeping bags if needed. So I phoned Rolande and had a nice visit with her and Fred along with another couple then another visit and tour the next morning. Here is Casa Kimmons taken by Rolande with my camera that morning.
From there, I headed out along I-10 to 177 and 62 which of course led me through yet another route through the desert. You really have to wonder about some of the routes that a GPS will lead you onto!(grin) However, I eventually crossed the Colorado River and the state line into Parker, Arizona on my way to Lake Havasu to visit a cousin there. Of course I didn't have his address so I called him and he came down to lead me to his place. I had the pleasure of a lovely evening with Bob and his 'Jewel' of a wife then off to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment