Well, the weather gods paid more attention to me than the forecasters.....sort of. The I-40 was reopened for travel although there were still strong winds and the possibility of some 'Crazy Canuck'-style weather.....snow at the end of April.....in Arizona?????
As I was getting my bags ready to take to the car, I looked out the window, shook my head and looked again. Yes, it really was snowing! Very tiny, dry flakes but definitely snow. Ooooohhhh boy, this is going to be one of those days the Chinese proverb told us about 'interesting times'......
The wind was blowing, sun was shining and snow had stopped as I left the Best Western Inn at Williams (located on Route 66 by the way). I was starting on a trip that would take about 5.5 hours and the wind was definitely a factor which made for a much more nerve-wracking drive. Soon, I had my sunglasses off as it was now snowing. Then the sun came back out for a few more miles and the snow started again. This time it became a total whiteout! I found it absolutely mind-boggling that the traffic was still barrelling along at 120kph +!! After getting through the blizzard, I only had a few more snow showers to contend with along with some pretty strong winds until I got just east of Gallop, just into New Mexico. At that point, the 2 lanes of traffic came to a total halt and ultimately became a 10-mile long traffic jam!!! It took 2.5 hours to get through that 10 miles! We got some more snow showers and more wind but finally made it to Albuquerque and found the hotel in spite of the GPS trying to take me elsewhere.....
The 5.5 hour drive had taken me 9 hours including a brief stop for gas (thank goodness I did that or I'd have been in trouble like several others while in that traffic jam). Of course, while sitting parked, I was able to take take few photos with my point & shoot. Here's one taken near the Navajo Casino showing how the rocks are disappearing in the snow squall.
Obviously I have some power lines to remove.......
And here's another that caught my eye - I know it's sage brush, however it looks so much like my dreaded broom when one sees it up close, plus I chuckled at the sheep in the background as I took this between 2 big rigs parked beside me in the jam.
Upon entering the lobby of the hotel, I was somewhat shocked to be greeted by a large sign (which I will take a photo of today) saying "Welcome McIlmoyle Reunion" or words to that effect! Then, needless to say, my first request at the desk was directions to the washroom after that prolonged drive. Once I got to my room, I received a call from one of my cousins (the only one with whom I'd corresponded via email) and she & 2 other cousins then came to my room to visit while I had something to eat, having missed both lunch & dinner. I'm now awaiting contact to find out what the agenda for today is.
8-)
Joan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment